The next NJ-SPJ board meeting—with members and non-members invited—is July 23 at 6 p.m. at the NJ Historical Society, 52 Park Place in Newark. It will feature a tour of the historical society and its exhibits, conducted by the NJHS’s acting executive director, Steven Tettamanti. He has graciously agreed to open the building just for us. Admission is free.
The NJ Historical Society is one door down from the Robert Treat Hotel. There is adjacent parking at the Military Park Garage (they charge, but it’s not bad). The location is within easy walking distance of Penn Station, not far from NJ-PAC. It is easy to reach from the Parkway to Route 280.
We don’t want to discourage last-minute attendees, but an RSVP would be extremely helpful. Please RSVP at email@example.com.
This is the first meeting of our newly elected board. Here are some agenda items:
- We need to determine the topic of our major November event, which looks like it already has a big-name panelist.
- It is likely that we will be re-opening our Twitter account. We need to discuss the content, particularly new job postings.
- We must elect at-large board members.
- NJ just lost one of its three votes at the national convention. We can appeal this, based on attendance at our events. But we need to decide this very soon.
- We are in discussions with several other organizations about joint sponsorship of activities and perhaps more.
- The contest committee will have just met. They will report on the reorganization of the categories, among other things.
And, of course, new business, which anyone can can suggest. (Only board members can vote, but anyone can speak.)
We have six officers, but the room holds 75-people. You can bring a colleague, or student, if they are interested in journalism. I hope to see many of you there.